The PLN Blogging Challenge
Over the past two days, I was presented with a blogging challenge by Jenn Sheffer, Jennie Magiera, and Megan Valois. I want to thank each one of you for including me, you are all very important to me as I continue to grow as an educator. Thank you!
Jenn, you have been inspiring me from afar with your work with putting students out front at BHS, something we are trying to push as well here at Leyden. Jennie, you are one of my best edufriends and I’m so lucky to have been able to learn so much from you in the past few years, I’m constantly in awe of your energy, enthusiasm, and intellect. Finally Megan, I was so happy to get to meet you in person in Montreal, you have been part of a group that is really shifting my thinking of how we assess for learning and what that can look like in our high schools.
HERE ARE THE RULES:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve a little recognition and a little blogging love!
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they’ve been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
Eleven Random Facts About Me:
1. I am from Iowa.
2. I have never been outside of North America.
3. I was an extra four different scenes in the movie “The Breakup”.
4. I coached basketball for most of my career.
5. I love sushi, especially salmon and tuna, but can’t eat either of those fish when they are cooked.
6. I am an education conference junkie.
7. I have worked at East Leyden twice, as a teacher and then returned as an administrator. #lucky
8. My daughter Lucy is named after Lucy Stone.
9. I attended the University of Northern Iowa.
10. My career goal is to keep my current job forever!
11. I have seen Pearl Jam live 26 times.
11 Questions I need to answer. These are a combination of the questions from Jenn, Jennie, and Megan.
1. iPhone or Android? ANDROID, not even close! I have the new Moto X and wouldn’t trade it for an iPhone.
2. What’s your favorite TV Series? All time it’s a tie between MASH and Seinfeld. Currently it’s Parks & Recreation.
3. PC or Mac? Chromebook! It’s all about the web!
4. What’s your favorite thing about blogging/tweeting? I feel like as educators we must live what we talk about with our students. By blogging and tweeting, I’m constantly asking questions, learning new perspectives, and reflecting on this learning.
5. Favorite place you have traveled? New York City followed closely by Mexico City
6. Favorite movie of all time? Too hard to pick just one: Malcolm X, Good Will Hunting, Garden State, and Ghostbusters are all up there.
7. Proudest moment? Probably when my six year old daughter told her 1st grade teacher she wants to be a Principal like her daddy when she grows up.
8. Favorite Twitter chat? I have to say #ILEdchat to represent Illinois!
9. Favorite educational website? I would probably say Edutopia.
10. Who inspired you to become a teacher? I would say the elementary students I worked with when I was a mentor in high school. When I saw firsthand the impact I could have on young people I knew even then I wanted to be a teacher.
11. Do you believe in having both a personal and professional Twitter account? For Twitter I only have one account. I use it primarily for professional discussions but those of you that follow me know my personal life bleeds over. I think it’s ok to let people know who you are and what’s important to you.
Here are 11 members of our community that truly inspire and influence me on a regular basis. They simply make me a better educator.
2. Tanya Avrith
4. Jimmy Casas
7. Ryan Bretag
10. Dominia Manola
11. Kip Pygman
11 questions I have for my blogger:
1. How has blogging and being “connected” impacted your practice?
2. What is a blog post you have read recently that you would like to share with others?
3. What is your favorite food/restaurant?
4. Why did you choose to be a high school, middle school, or elementary educator?
5. What is your favorite movie, book, and song?
6. What is your favorite vacation destination?
7. Where do you want to travel most that you haven’t been to yet?
8. What are you most proud of in your career?
9. iPhone or Android?
10. If you had a superpower what would it be?
11. If you could change one thing in education, what would it be?